Monday, October 26, 2009

38 weeks 6 days

Ava Ryane
decided to arrive a little early!

Our birth story:

I woke up at 7:17 on Saturday morning and to my surprise my water had broke. Not quite what I had expected! My midwife suggested we should just go the hospital since J's delivery was so fast. That's what we did!
My contractions were very irregular and not very strong so we tried walking around to make some progress. It didn't really work though. Since my amniotic fluid was still a little on the low side of normal, my midwife decided after 10 hours of NOTHING, that we should start Pitocin. This was not the outcome I had hoped for and I felt a little discouraged, but we had to do it. So at 5:30pm the Pitocin was started and shortly after my contractions began too. I was thankful that something was happening finally. After about 1 1/2 hours I was changing my tune though! My contractions were really painful and I was sure that it couldn't be much longer. So, finally the midwife checked my progress and I was dilated to a four. What?! A FOUR! That cannot be right! They offered the IV pain medication and I felt much better after that. I could handle the contractions and toward the end they were still pretty painful, but more what I was expecting. About 1 1/2 hours after the pain medication I was ready to push. After about 5 or 6 painful pushes, Ava arrived. She was less than happy but she was healthy and that's all that mattered!

1 comment:

KelsinaterB said...

I am so impressed that you didn't have an epidural. What a stud! We are so happy for you guys! If there's anything we can do, let us know. =) Congrats Jace on being a big bro - it's a special priveledge.