Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Glucose tolerance...

I was surprised to find out that I failed my one hour glucose test which means that I now have to do the three hour glucose tolerance test. The nurse from my midwife's office said my glucose level was only slightly elevated, but the tolerance test is still required. I will have my test done on Friday and really hope I can avoid being diagnosed with gestational diabetes. For some reason, this test has me focusing a little more on my family's history with diabetes. Both of my grandmothers had diabetes and I have always been aware that this is something that could affect me too. I guess this scare may be just the thing I needed to get me to focus on this topic a little more. I do know that having gestational diabetes does not necessarily mean that I will have diabetes after delivery, but it does carry an increased risk of the baby developing diabetes as an adult and may be an indicator that I am more at risk for developing diabetes also. Lets hope this is one test that I fail!

No comments: